Monday, June 30, 2014

Woman who lost husband, two children in Joplin Tornado suing Home Depot

A woman who lost her husband and two children in the May 22, 2011, Joplin Tornado, is suing Home Depot for negligence.

The lawsuit, which was initially filed May 23 in Jasper County Circuit Court, was removed to U. S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri today.

In addition to Home Depot USA, the lawsuit names USHD Development of Maryland and Casco Diversified Corporation as defendants.

The petition says that Edie Housel's husband Russell Thomas Howard, and daughter Harli Jayce Howard, 5, and son Hayze Cole Howard, 19 months, sought refuge in the Joplin Home Depot store at 5:17 May 22 when tornado sirens sounded.

(They) were directed to the training room in the back of the building, but before they could reach the area, the large unsupported wall panels collapsed on top of them. (They) were killed as a result of injuries suffered from the tornado.

The negligence claims include poor construction of the building, no proper emergency plan, and lack of proper training.

In addition to two counts of negligence, the defendants face a third count of "loss of consortium."

Ms. Housel is represented by Katrina Richards of the Hershewe Law Firm of Joplin.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunate, but there is no case here

Anonymous said...

It's human nature to try to find someone to blame after suffering such a loss but I have to agree with 7:49.

She might as well sue God.

Anonymous said...

Nothing there. A woman attempted to sue Wal-Mart after the tornado. It was a natural disaster. Not someone placing a bomb in the middle of Joplin. Cannot control nature.

Anonymous said...

Wow, just lost all respect for her. My daughter still wears the "High Friend" hair bow we bought to help support them.

Anonymous said...

The story is not factual. Rusty was NOT directed to the training room. My father lost his life running to the training room with Rusty and both men were carrying one child each. My father worked for Home Depot at the time. He came out of safety in an effort to save this young family. My fear now is that his good name will be ruined. My sandness is that Edie seems to have forgotten that a good man laid his life down to protect her family.

Anonymous said...

I am the eldest daughter of Dean Wells HD employee. He brought several people to safety that horrific day. He decided to run one last time to check if anyone was in need of help. Edies husband & 2 children were approaching the door. My dad opened the door & grabbed her daughter & Rusty ran with his son. It was too late the F5 touched down. There was NOTHING anyone could’ve done! I received the Circuit Court Motion & cannot believe she included & blamed my father. The things she is suing for is mind blowing. I have met her, spoke to her, she met my mother. Funny how she took me off FB yesterday. She remarried (elaborate wedding), nice honeymoon, bought & remodeled a home, travels and just had a cute little baby boy. My heartaches as my mother’s health is horrible & this lawsuit is going to drain her. I hope everyone follows this case closely!! I cannot BELIEVE SHE BLAMES MY DAD

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she blames your father now either. I saw a few posts from her on the following link and she refers to him as a hero here and this was in January of this year:

http://stormstalker.wordpress.com/2013/02/13/joplin/

Anonymous said...

It is people like her that ruin anything/anyone who try to good for others. I hope she realizes how greedy and self centered she sounds and drops the lawsuit. She makes me sick, already married again, and a baby, and then decides to sue??? SAD

Anonymous said...

Dean was a great guy and I know he did everything he could do to help them. Unfortunately we had to bury loved one's due to a tornado but it is nice to see more storm shelters around. I would live to know that every building had a storm shelter.