Sunday, July 30, 2017

Nancy Hughes devotion: Delay with a purpose

“’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your
ways my ways,’ declares the Lord. ‘As the heavens are higher
than the earth, so are my ways higher than your
ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’”
Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV)


I had our trip all planned. My granddaughter Ella and I were driving to Kansas City. Car packed: check. Seat belts on: check. Stopped to fill up the car at the gas station: check. Well, semi-check.

We pulled up to the pump and she hopped out to get a drink and stepped into something that appeared to be a mixture of kitty litter and silly putty. Her new flip flops were covered. Delay #1.

“Just hit them together and we will pull around to another pump,” I told her. But as she did that, the mixture went everywhere: in the car, in her hair, on her clothes. Everywhere! Delay #2.

We pulled around to another pump and wiped off as much of the gunk as we could with a towel. And she went inside for her drink as I slid my card, hit the buttons and tried to pump the gas into my car tank. Again and again. Nothing. Delay #3.

After the third try, I walked into the gas station and found out that I had picked the one pump that occasionally gave customers problems. “Try again, please” I was instructed. Delay #4.

I did – a fourth time. Nothing. But finally on the fifth try it worked! Hallelujah! The car was filled up, the drink was purchased, seat belts were on and we finally left town after a 30 minute delay.

A delay that had us shaking our heads in frustration but one that quickly changed to praise and thanksgiving a few miles from our destination. There had been a wreck.

A semi had swerved back and forth on the highway before running off the right side and into a huge ditch, destroying a long metal protective rail in the process. The highway patrol and two ambulances plus several other vehicles were lined up along the side of the road.

It instantly occurred to us that if we had not had all the delays before leaving town, we could have been exactly where that wreck occurred. What a great reminder for us of God’s protection and plan for our lives!

Today’s Scripture is found in Isaiah 55:8-9. “’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’”

I get upset and frustrated over trains stopped on tracks and long lines in grocery stores because I have MY lists and MY priorities for MY life. And I seldom stop and consider that the delays I experience may be part of God’s plan for me. My timeline is not always the same as His and I truly believe that my check list is not a top priority for Him either.

If you struggle with your plans not going as you think they should, join me in deciding to stop, take a breath, and consider that God has your delay planned for a purpose.

Father, forgive me when I act like I know better how to lead my life. Help me to look less at my check lists and more in your Word to guide me. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up

Reflect
Have you ever become frustrated and upset when your timeline and check list were delayed or ruined?

Application
The next time your plans are delayed, take a deep breath and reflect on what the Lord is protecting you from or planning for you.
Thank Him for His wisdom and purpose in all situations.

Power Verses

Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV) “’For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord. ‘As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.’”

Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.”

II Thessalonians 3:3 (NIV) “But the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.”

John 10:10 (NIV) “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”

Psalm 46:1 (NIV) “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”

***
Check out Nancy Hughes' new children's book, Lola B. and the Skinned Up Tree at its website.

You can find more of Nancy's writing at her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.

No comments: