Tuesday, August 15, 2017

$140 a year for the Neosho Daily News?

Expect a dramatic drop in subscriptions for the Neosho Daily News.

Monday, I talked to a long time subscriber to the Daily (more than 60 years) who made the difficult decision not to renew her subscription.

Perhaps things would have been different if the Daily had not recently trimmed its publication schedule to two times a week (and still calls itself the Daily).

I have written before about how I grew up reading the Neosho Daily and how I waited for it to arrive at Gum Mercantile in Newtonia every weekday. What is left of the Daily (and I am certainly not blaming the editor and reporters who are doing the best they can) is certainly not worth the prices GateHouse Media wants subscribers to pay:

Four weeks- $15.75

Thirteen weeks- $42.25

Twenty-six weeks $77.50

One year- $140

This brings up a question- Does GateHouse really want the Neosho Daily News to survive?

No comments: