Thursday, August 17, 2017

Classroom Confidential available on Amazon

As of this evening, my new book, Classroom Confidential, is available on Amazon.com.

The book is a collection of my writings on different aspects of education. The photo on the cover should be familiar to some of my former students and teaching colleagues. It was taken in Room 210 at South Middle School, a room where I spent six years teaching eighth grade English.

The book features essays on problems in our public education system and the way public schools are being treated by our politicians, remembrances of teachers and former students who are no longer with us, thoughts on different aspects of teaching, memories of my classroom days, both as a teacher and as a student and much more.

The essays have been previously published, but many include updates and in one case, I admit I have changed my mind about what I wrote.

The book includes the following chapters:

The Girl Next Door- A high school student discovers her life work during a job shadowing experience, but that life is tragically shortened.

The School Where Cheating Does Not Exist- Student journalist Lauren Fetters discovers that her story was inaccurate and that cheating does not happen at Diamond Middle School.

A Few Words About Teachers- In this one, angered by someone who used that old saying, "Those who can do and those who can't teach," I write about the teachers who have influenced my life, beginning with my teachers at Midway, Triway, and East Newton all the way through my time in the Joplin School District.

The One With the Gun- This one was written following the 2006 shooting at Memorial Middle School in Joplin.

Improving Graduation Rates- This was one was written shortly after the Joplin R-8 School District hired C. J. Huff as superintendent. I offer my suggestions non how graduation rates can be improved.

Teachers and Facebook- In this one, I address the controversy over whether teachers should communicate with students over Facebook.and other social networking sites.

Remembering Dick Ferguson- A slightly embarrassing situation at Diamond Middle School when two of my students ask guest speaker Dick Ferguson some eyeopening questions.

Teachers Must Take the Lead in Removing Bad Apples- Teachers have a responsibility to police their own profession.

The Mythical Crisis in Public Education- You can probably guess what this one is about.

Blame It on the Teachers

A Time When All Things Are Possible- My thoughts on the first day of school

Reviving My Enthusiasm For Teaching- I was never a big fan of the pep rallies the Joplin R-8 School District held for all employees on the first day back, but at this particular one I had a chance to talk with one of my former Diamond Middle School students, Kristen Hicks, as she was preparing to begin her teaching career.

Remembering Brendan Garrett- A former South Middle School student who died far too young

The Murder of Rowan Ford- As Triway Elementary School fourth graders dealt with the rape and murder of their classmate, I remembered how much simpler life was when I was a Triway fourth grader during the 1965-66 school year.

Remembering Terry James- Thoughts about a longtime Webb City R-7 Board of Education member

Gov. Greitens' Latest Attack on Public Education- As you can tell, this is a recent one.

Young People Should Become Teachers

Football Coaches Don't Cry- A Seneca football coach develops a friendship with a six-year-old wheelchair-bound victim of a drunk driving accident.

The Death of Creativity in the Classroom- Too much testing and test preparation

Remembering J. R. Polen and South Middle School- My first year teaching in the Joplin R-8 School District and some of the students who made it special

Remembering Terri Byrd- A North Middle School teacher whose career was cut tragically short, but not without leaving many wonderful memories

Ten Signs Your Child Is In a Failing School District

Tornado Victim Should Be Able to Leave Joplin High School With His Classmates- One of two essays on the Zach Williams controversy

Zach Williams Controversy is About Community and Humanity- The other essay

Remembering T. J. Bowman and the Trailer Classroom- Some memories of my first year as a teacher

A Special Group of Seniors- My thoughts on the graduation of the students who were my eighth graders during the first year in the warehouse school after the tornado

Betsy DeVos and the Blunt Connection- What would a book on education be without some investigative reporting?

Remembering Spencer Nicodemus- Friends remember the life of a young man who contributed much during his short time here.

Remembering Larry Dixon- A Lockwood High School science teacher influences generations of students

The Civil Rights Issue of Our Time- In this one, I explain why charter schools and vouchers are bad ideas.

Trump Plagiarism Scandal Offer New Excuses for Our Students- I feel sorry for Melania.

No Amount of Data Can Replace a Good Classroom Teacher

Donald Trump Jr. Attacks Teachers in Convention Speech

Remembering Larry Augustine- Larry, a Diamond Middle School math teacher, helped me a great deal during my early years of teaching. He made math a go-to destination for students.

The Third Voice- Two Carthage students vie for a I rating at state with a duet that was originally supposed to be a trio until the third member committed suicide.

From First Kiss to Lasting Love- A basketball homecoming is the start of a wonderful life for a Lamar High School student.

A Warning to Young People: Don't Become a Teacher- I can never make up my mind.

Reflections on a Field Trip- East Middle School students take in a Springfield Cardinals game and see the magic of Oscar Taveras.

Forget Voter ID, We Need a Voter IQ Law- Isn't the time right for this?

Random Drug Testing of Students Sends the Wrong Message

Message to a First Year Teacher- As my former Diamond Middle School student Stephanie Taylor began her teaching career, I offered some advice to all first year teachers.

I Am Sick of Class Warfare- The effect class warfare is having on public education

Billionaire Links KKK with Public Education- There Rex Sinquefield goes again.

Obama State of the Union Sends Positive Message to Public Schools

Finding "Hi" in my Joplin Classroom- A special gift from eighth grader Sabrina Randles means even more after the tornado.

The Smackdown of Those Spoiled Teachers

Tribute to a Middle School Principal- Some thoughts about current East Newton R-6 Superintendent Ron Mitchell

Recovering From a Hate Crime- Joplin High School student Laela Zaidi works to bring the community together after an arson fire destroys the Joplin Islamic Community Mosque.

The book can be ordered as a paperback or as an e-book at the links below:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you suggest solutions at the end of each chapter?