Sunday, August 20, 2017

Nancy Hughes devotion: Reality check- Who's in control?

“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom
shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1 (NIV)


“He’s going to college, Lord…COLLEGE!!!! What if he meets the wrong people? What if he doesn’t study and loses his scholarship? What if someone hits him over the head and takes his money? What if he doesn’t match the right shirt with the right pair of jeans?

What if? What if? What if? What if? Calm and reason gave way to unreasonable in a matter of seconds. Ever been there?

Well, I was. Our oldest, our son, was heading to a college only about 40 miles away. But to me it might as well have been across the country, the sea, and on a completely different continent.

I realized that I was worrying and fearful, but isn’t that on a mother’s job application? “Must be able to worry and be fearful on demand.” However, something happened…the worry and fear that I entertained occasionally with a cup of tea and two cookies became a never-ending eight-course meal.

I was unable to do anything without those two sins (and they ARE sins) popping up in my mind. I had gotten to the point of allowing common sense and sanity to be overrun with what could be called an obsession with our son leaving when the Lord decided He had had enough.

One evening I was praying about my son moving away from home when the Lord spoke quietly but firmly to my heart: “Nancy, I’ve checked and the college he is going to is within my territory. It’s on my beat. It’s on my shift. I do not need a map. I KNOW where it is, Nancy. And I love him more than you will ever know.” Talk about a reality check!

It was easy for me to trust the Lord with my son’s life when he was right in front of me and living in my house. But the minute I saw that he was going to be out of my control, I lost control and became a maniac.

Every Scripture that I had memorized about a Father Who is in control and who knows all things and who takes care of us and protects us was replaced with doubt and a franticness that threatened to consume me.

What had happened? I had allowed Satan to creep in and steal my confidence in my Father. Instead of praising the Lord and asking Him to guide and direct my son as he moved in a new direction in his life, I focused on the situation and not on the Source of strength and power.

Instead of realizing that no matter where my son is, my Father is in complete control, I had somehow thought that I was the one in control and that my son’s success or failure in life would solely depend on his living under my roof where I could keep an eye on his every move and every decision.

I immediately kneeled and asked my Father to forgive me for not trusting His plan and protection for my son’s life. My heart cried out “He is yours, Father. You have entrusted him to me for this time on earth and I trust You to do Your will in his life.”

Would you believe that my son did just fine at college? He did. Would you believe that the Lord watched over him and directed his path? In every way, yes. And would you believe that Satan still occasionally tried to sneak fear and worry into my thoughts?

Oh, yes, he tried. But each time Satan whispered his lies, I focused on a Father who says in Isaiah 43:1 “. . . Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.”

God knows my son’s name and He knows your name, too. He is a Father who wants to take care of us, His children, and to direct our lives as we face new challenges and circumstances every day.

I encourage you to hand every situation in your life to the One who is in control of heaven and earth, sky and sea, and yes, of your life and mine. The Creator does not need directions to your home. He simply needs permission to enter your heart and take control.

Father, you are in control of all things. Forgive me for forgetting that nothing happens in my life that does not first pass through your hands. Help me to daily give you everything in my life and trust you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

R.A.P. it up


Reflect

What is your first reaction when you feel you are not in control of a situation? Is it worry and fear or prayer and trust?

Application

Before getting out of bed every morning, pause for two minutes and give the Lord your day and everything in it. Ask Him to help you to trust Him to handle whatever comes your way and praise Him for His answers.

Ask a prayer warrior to hold you accountable when you begin to worry over problems instead of placing them at the feet of Jesus.

Power Verses

Psalm 27:1 (NIV) “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid?”

Matthew 6:33-34 (NIV) “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Philippians 4:6 (NIV) “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”

I Peter 5:7 (NIV) “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”

I Corinthians 16:13(NIV) “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.”

(More of Nnncy Hughes writing and information about her books can be found at her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

***

Nancy Hughes' latest children's book is available at the Amazon link below:

No comments: