Saturday, January 06, 2018

Nancy Hughes: The itemized statement

“Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.”
Proverbs 20:22 (NIV)


The bitter tone of the woman’s voice in the next room caught my attention as I walked into the office. Her barely restrained fury made every word she spoke sound like a shot being fired from a rifle.

I had an appointment to have my car inspected at a restore and refinish auto shop after a minor bumper mishap but from the tone of her voice, I assumed the vehicle belonging to the angry woman must have sustained an exorbitant amount of damage. It sounded as though she was having every single part replaced as she listed item after item that needed to be ordered.

“And one last thing,” she concluded. “I want a new paint job. He’s gonna be sorry by the time this is done.” I almost pitied the guy who hit her car. “Must have been some collision,” I thought.

The man talking to her laughed. “What about new leather seats?” he asked. “Sure, why not,” she answered. “He’s got the money. He’s getting the bill.”

As they concluded their business, the woman walked into the office and, with a look over her shoulder, made one final comment as she left: “He thinks I am just going to have a few things updated on my car. Just wait until he gets the bill! This is going to be great! I’ll teach him to divorce me!” and with a laugh she was gone.

Getting even. Oh, haven’t we all been there? “He said” or “She did” and we immediately believe we have a right to hold a grudge and to inflict judgment ourselves.
.
Now, I know you may be thinking “But you have no idea what has happened to me and what he/she did” and that is very true, just as I have no idea what happened in this woman’s divorce. But I can tell you that, after she had inflicted her damage to her former husband’s billfold in revenge, there was no joy in her laugh.

I also know that resentment and bitterness do more harm to you than to the person you are resentful and bitter toward. Your physical health is affected immediately and, more importantly, your spiritual health is compromised.

Forgiving does not mean that you accept as right the wrong done to you. It simply means that you are trusting God to turn that wrong into a right for His glory.

The woman’s itemized statement was really a list that included revenge, bitterness, resentment, anger and unforgiveness.

If you have an itemized statement like hers, I urge you to truly count the cost and write “forgiven” under the amount due.

Father, I have had a “get even” attitude so many times in my life. Please help me to look at all situations through your eyes and to learn to forgive. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect

Can you think of an instance in your life when someone committed a wrong against you?

What was your first reaction? To get even or to forgive?

Application

Make a list of the wrongs that have been done to you.

Beside each one write “forgiven” and the Scripture that applies. Then forgive.

Power Verses:

Proverbs 20:22 (NIV) “Do not say, “I’ll pay you back for this wrong!” Wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.”

Matthew 6:14-15 (NIV) “For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

Leviticus 19:18 (NIV) “Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.”

Psalm 27:14 (NIV) “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

Ephesians 4:31-32 (NIV) “Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing and information about her books, check out her blog, Encouragement From the War Room.)

No comments: