Saturday, March 10, 2018

Reader rips into Turner Report coverage of "possibly innocent" former Sonic supervisor, questions attack at my apartment

A few moments ago, I published a comment to my post from earlier today about the hearing that is scheduled for Chris Alred in Jasper County Circuit Court on a statutory sodomy charge.

The anonymous commenter brought up two points that always irritate me when people who should know better make them.

The first is the idea that you should not write about someone accused of committing a crime because people are "innocent until proven guilty."

That is a legal concept that applies to the courtroom. If the media did not report on these arrests and what happens as each step of the judicial process occurs, people would not have information they are entitled to have.

The second point was even more irritating- that I should be ashamed of myself because Chris Alred has a child and could suffer because of my writing.



I have written about people who have committed crimes and who have been charged with committing crimes for almost 41 years. There has never been a time when I did not give thought to the innocent people who are caught up when a loved one commits a crime or is charged with committing a crime.

I always feel sympathy for them, but it is important to remember that without their actions, or alleged actions, I would not be writing about them.

If Chris Alred had not been charged with statutory sodomy, an act that is also an integral part of a major lawsuit against Rangeline Sonic, Alred and others, or charged with a sixth driving while intoxicated offense, one that occurred with his child in the vehicle with him, I would never have had reason to write about him.

The commenter also noted the attack at my apartment and hinted that it did not occur because it is not on case.net.



I would have preferred that it did not happen and I am not comfortable about being a part of the story, but please do not tell me that it did not happen.

The reader's comment and my response are printed below:

The comment
You claim charges were filed against him for assaulting you but there is nothing listed on casenet. His casenet charges do not match what you are listing in your blog. You seem to have it out for him. You should get your facts straight before posting things online about a possibly innocent individual, especially if you are going to post his picture. He hasn't been convicted yet, and as you pointed out, he does have a child. You should be ashamed of yourself.
My response 
Interesting that you should mention the photo. That one was the one the Joplin Police Department released when they issued a warrant for him for my attack. It has not only been published in the Turner Report, but the information has also been covered by the Joplin Globe, KZRG , the local television stations and I believe even the Springfield News-Leader carried something. 
He has yet to be arrested for the attack on me. When, or if, that happens, I don't know if the case will go through Jasper County or through Joplin Municipal Court.
You are absolutely correct to say that he may be found not guilty of the crimes that he is charged with committing. He also has an outstanding warrant for that sixth DWI and he is scheduled to go to trial next month for statutory sodomy, a crime he allegedly committed on an underage girl. 

I would prefer not to be a part of this story, but I am not the one who is responsible for that. 
So he is facing felony charges including statutory sodomy and driving while intoxicated.
And let us not forget, that he has pleaded guilty to driving while intoxicated on five previous occasions. 
As for his child, I have every sympathy for her. According to the Sarcoxie Police Department probable cause statement, he not only had her in the car with him while he was drinking and driving, but he also attempted to run from the officer. 
Please spare me your indignation. And please do your homework next time. The attack at my apartment is well documented. Get your facts straight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your "anonymous" was his brother im sure. Good work Randy!

Anonymous said...

Keep bringing us the news Randy. You are correct, if people weren't criminals they wouldn't be the topic of these artcles.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha, yes! Thank you for this good read.

Anonymous said...

Only another criminal would defend this guy. 6 DUI? Isn't it prison time just for that?

Anonymous said...

why have they not charged the guy who hit you yet?